Training your dog can be challenging, so you need to make sure that you have the right tools to help make the process easier for you. One example of such a tool is a training collar which is available in a variety of styles, depending on what you want or what your dog needs.
It will help in teaching your dog basic commands as well as solve any behavioral problems that your pet may have. Just keep in mind that the idea of using a training collar is to correct your beloved dog’s behavior and not as a form of punishment.
How to Choose the Best Dog Training Collar
There are so many different types of training collars available on the market these days that it can be difficult to choose the best one for your dog. If you know your dog very well and can identify the collar which can be beneficial for him, then at least you can narrow down your options.
If not, you can always seek professional advice just to be sure.
When getting a training collar for your dog, there are important factors that you need to consider and below are some of them:
This actually depends on the area where you are planning to train your dog, but it is always advisable to get a collar which can work long range so that you do not have to worry about it later on in case you move to a larger area.
Size and Disposition
The training collar should also be based on the size of your dog. For instance, if you have a medium sized dog, then you would have many options, but if you have a small dog, you need to be extra careful because of your dog’s fragility.
Know the type of training collar that your dog needs. Some of the common types of collars are:
- Pronged collars
- Shock collars
- Spray collars
- Ultrasonic collars
- Halter collars
There are two ways to deliver electrical stimulations to your dog and those are continuous stimulation, which will last until you release the button of the controller, and momentary stimulation, which will only last for less than a second, even if you continue pressing the button.
Brand and Budget
There are different trusted brands offering products of varying amounts, so this is more of a personal preference while considering the amount that you are willing to spend.
To get you started, below are some of the best products that you may want to consider.
Mega Power 330 Yards Remote Dog Training Collar Rechargeable E-collar with Beep / Vibration / Shock Electronic Electric Collar with Visible Silicone Buttons
This dog training collar by Mega Power is preferred by many dog owners because it is more advanced than other rechargeable dog collars on the market and has great features.
- It is safe, comfortable, and effective for dogs weighing anywhere between 15 to 60 lbs and within a 300 yard range.
- It has a remote which is made of water resistant and durable materials for a more comfortable fit and feel.
- The remote contains high quality internal components and a regulator chip in the collar for the ideal functionality.
- It has an adjustable vibration and shock which can be adjusted to 100 different levels and one beep level.
- The remote transmitter has a clear LCD backlight display and LED backlight buttons for visibility during the day and even at night.
- The collar receiver has improved charging internal controls as well as improved water and dust protection.
- The TPU belt has increased durability.
- It is water resistant and can withstand water equivalent to 0.7 liters per minute, provided that the lid is secured properly. It is okay to wear the collar during light drizzles, but must be removed before bathing or swimming because submerging it in water will definitely cause damage.
- It has better antenna and several improved features such as charging and protection from external elements.
- It has a drop proof design.
- Simultaneous charging can be done for both transmitter and receiver.
- The system can be used with one or two receivers.
- It has been proven to be safe, comfortable, and most importantly, effective.
- The shock may not work on all dog breeds.
- The collar material is a bit weak and has a tendency to break easily.
The Mega Power Rechargeable Dog Training Collar is an easy to use training tool that is best for medium sized dogs. The vibrate setting is a good feature, which dogs can adapt to pretty well, so the shock does not even have to be used at all.
Its great features include its wide reach of 3o0 yards, as well as the high quality and comfortable material that your dog will definitely appreciate.
StarMark Training Collar
This large training collar is a product of StarMark, which is one of the world’s best in pet education and in developing award-winning training and behavior tools.
What’s great about StarMark is that they understand how dogs think, play, and learn, which is why they have come up with unique products that can help dog owners train their dogs better. Their training collar has great features that are listed below.
- It has a pronged, high-strength linked design, which is gentle yet effective in enforcing pack leadership.
- It has an appearance of a flat collar and helps prevent pulling and lunging behavior.
- It is large in size, which has a 21” circumference that is best for large dogs, but there is also a small size, which has a 15” circumference and is perfect for smaller dog breeds. The linked “watch band” design also allows the size to be adjusted.
- It also allows links to be remove or added for really big dogs. Additional links are sold separately.
- It is quality and performance driven as it was created by professionals and experts at Triple Crown Dog Academy Inc. It has also been tested for safety and health.
- It does not make dogs look dangerous when worn.
- It pinches just enough to get your dog’s attention, which most dog trainers prefer before using a more aggressive form of training.
- Although made of plastic, it is extremely durable and unlikely to break.
- You can make the collar smaller or bigger by removing or adding links, which can be bought separately.
- It simulates a mother dog’s teeth when her puppies are misbehaving, so it is not a cruel way to correct a dog’s behavior.
- The collar can be a little difficult to put on and to take off.
StarMark’s Training Collar is designed to enhance communication between dogs and their dog owners as it allows a firm yet gentle control for a more effective training process. It works great for dogs that always pull on the leash as it makes obedience training easier.
The design is very minimal, but it looks great, with the links forming a watchband pattern that can also be modified by adding or removing links to perfectly suit your dog.
PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar with Training DVD
PetSafe is a well known brand which passionately creates innovative bahavioral, containment, and lifestyle product solutions for dogs and owners. The brand’s Gentle Leader Head Collar is used by many dog owners as it gives them a chance to communicate with their dogs instinctively and effectively, thanks to its great features.
- It is an easy-fit training tool that can help teach dogs better leash manners.
- It helps reduce pulling on the leash and is great for training dogs to heel.
- It helps prevent unwanted behaviors like lunging, jumping, and unnecessary barking without choking or causing pain to your dog.
- It comes in different sizes to suit different breeds. There is a petite size for dogs under 5 lbs; small size for dogs up to 25 lbs; medium size for dogs up to 60 lbs; large size for dogs up to 130 lbs; and extra large for dogs who are more than 130 lbs.
- It has adjustable nylon straps with a neoprene padded nose loop for added comfort.
- It includes fitting instructions, training guide, and a comprehensive DVD.
- The pressure is applied at the back of the neck and not at the front of the throat which is why it will not choke your dog.
- It does not serve as a muzzle, so even when worn, your dog can open its mouth to pant, bark, eat and drink. Just make sure that it is fitted properly.
- It can be used by dogs as young as eight weeks.
- It can be worn up to 18 hours a day, without causing pain or stress to your dog.
- Both the neck strap and nose loop are fully adjustable to create a custom fit.
- Most dogs are observed to have shown immediate results as they acclimate just within minutes and respond quickly to their owners.
- Some parts are made with low quality plastic.
The Gentle Leader Head Collar by PetSafe is a great training tool which has been tested by many dog owners. It can help you to finally have a stress-free walk with your dog, without him pulling on the leash.
It is scientifically designed to work with your dog’s natural instincts so it will work towards controlling your dog’s unwanted behavior.
PetAZ Dog Training Collar With Remote Rechargeable & Waterproof LCD Screen
PetAZ’s Dog Training Collar is another advanced model of a collar as it is rechargeable and has a waterproof LCD screen. The overall product is high in quality and is made of durable yet comfortable materials that your dog would learn to love.
- The operational range is up to 331 yards so it definitely works long distance.
- It has a durable and adjustable shock collar strap that can fit most dogs from 15 lbs to 100 lbs. The collar strap is made from nylon and is 14 to 24 inches long.
- It has superior internal components and regulator chip in the collar to ensure durability.
- It has an LED backlight and an LCD display for visibility during the day and night.
- The LCD screen is convenient and easy to read as it displays the control levels.
- It is made of a frosted matte material.
- The collar receiver has new belt colors and has an improved charging internal controls.
- It is water resistant but not waterproof, which means it can withstand water equivalent to 0.7 liters per minute, provided that the lid is secured properly. It can be worn in light drizzles, but must not be submerged in water for it will cause damage.
- It is dual resistance, working muscles on the way up and down for maximum results.
- The remote only takes about a second to be turned on from sleep mode.
- It helps make dog training more effective, especially when used carefully and compassionately.
- It goes through phases of beep, vibration, and shock, to condition your dog better and give you full control of the training.
- The receivers fluctuate and do not work 100% all the time.
The PetAZ Dog Training Collar offers quality and comfort that will be benefitted by both dog owners and their beloved pets. It is durable and made of top quality components which is why you can be assured of its durability and its effectiveness.
Like other dog training collars, you just need to use it properly and with compassion, to see significant results and observe the positive changes in your dog’s behavior.
Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar
This product is a remote dog training system that consists of a wireless remote and a wireless receiver. It is a safe and humane way of training dogs, which has been proven to increase the effectiveness of training and also reduce the stress that dogs go through during the process.
- It features a one dog system with a half mile range.
- It has a small receiver for dogs that are 5 lbs and larger. The receiver is 2” x 1.5” 1” and weighs 2.4 ounces.
- It has a mini ergonomic stopwatch transmitter that perfectly fits small hands. It is also well suited for situations which require discreetness.
- It delivers a tapping sensation, which is similar to vibration, but more intense.
- It has user-selectable stimulation levels from 1 to 100 with additional boost stimulus from 1 to 60.
- The rechargeable batteries are made from lithium-polymer and come with a dual charger.
- The transmitter and receiver are both waterproof and shock resistant.
- The Educator collars are also available in a nylon quick snap or high quality Biothane material which will not fray and is very durable.
- The ergonomic stopwatch design allows you to watch your dog at all times, without having to look at the transmitter.
- The transmitter controls a tracking light, which allows you to locate your dog after dark.
- It also has a beeper which can be turned on to help locate a lost transmitter.
- The transmitter floats, so you can easily retrieve it in case you accidentally drop it in a body of water.
- The blue LCD display is very convenient as it provides an easy way to know the stimulation levels in any condition.
- Some users complained of issues with the batteries and charging.
There are a lot of great features to love about the Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar, including the waterproof transmitter and receiver, stimulation button and boost, and its tapping sensation, just to name a few.
It also helps that Educator is responsible for developing one of the most reliable and fastest wireless link in the dog training collar industry, so you can be assured that you are only getting the best for your dog when you get an Educator product for training.
When it comes to training your dog, it is important to choose the right collar that can help make training easier for you and less stressful for your dog. It will help a lot to consider the factors that were discussed in the buying guide to ensure that you only get what you and your dog need.
Consider the range, size and disposition, type of training collar, simulation, preferred brand, and of course, your budget.
Aside from these factors, there are also other considerations to keep in mind such as the levels of correction that they offer and whether they are suitable for your dog, sturdiness and durability, and if the manufacturer offers any warranty.
It is also better if the training collar has several levels of correction so that you can easily adjust the level to what your dog responds to and what he ignores.
Also, keep in mind that not all training collars work for all types of dogs, so it is advisable to ask around and do a lot of research to be sure that you are getting the best collar for your beloved friend. Once you find the perfect collar, your dog’s behavior will become better quickly.