If you are a proud dog owner, then it is very likely that you have experienced or are still experiencing the “pulling stage” wherein your dog cannot control his excitement and practically pulls your arm hard whenever you walk him wearing a leash.
The good thing is, you do not have to put up with it as there is something that you can do to correct your dog’s unwanted behavior.
One effective type of behavior modification is the use of dog training collars, specifically a head collar. This type of collar is adjustable and works similar to a horse reign.
As the name implies, it is used on the head and works by applying pressure around the dog’s snout and around the back of the head.
When your dog wears a head collar and he attempts to pull like he is used to, he will wind up turning his head downward or toward the side. These positions are considered to be submissive positions for dogs and he will realize that you are in control of his head, making him submit to you and obey your commands.
What’s good about a head collar is that a dog owner can put one on his dog and the dog will suddenly walk nicely on a leash even with the usual distractions around him. This may not happen all the time, but it happens to some dogs.
Using a head collar is a safe and effective way of training your dog, provided that you also have the necessary skills and you know how to use it properly. A head collar is strongly recommended by experts because it can level the playing field for dog owners who have average timing and speed.
With this training tool, you can easily get your dog’s attention by being able to guide his head towards the direction that you want him to focus on. It can also speed up the training process and have your dog focus on you and be better behaved.
More importantly, it can control even the most anxious dogs so that they can calm down, focus, and get rewarded for it.
One of the best head collars that is available on the market is the PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar which also comes with a training DVD. This is a great product because of its features that will be further discussed below.
PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar Features
- It reduces pulling on a leash.
- It is a perfect training tool for dogs to heel to their owners.
- It is easy to fit and have your dog get used to wearing it.
- The collar sits high on the neck so it will not put any pressure on the throat area. It can help prevent and correct unwanted behaviors without choking your dog or inflicting any kind of pain.
- It is made with adjustable nylon straps with a neoprene padded nose loop for a comfortable fit.
- The nose loop redirects your dog without having to use a muzzle.
- It comes with a training guide and a comprehensive DVD.
- It comes in different sizes to suit different dog breeds.
- It is not a muzzle, so your dog can still open its mouth to eat, drink, pant, fetch, and bark as long as it is fitted properly.
- It can be used by dogs as young as eight weeks old.
- It can be worn up to 18 hours a day without causing pain or discomfort to your dog.
- The nose loop and the neck strap are both fully adjustable so you can create a custom fit for your dog.
- It provides immediate results as most dogs who wear it become accustomed to it within minutes, prompting them to respond quickly to their owners’ commands.
- There are some issues with the plastic parts of the collar being made from weak materials.
- The buckle on the loop positioned under the chin is difficult to open and close, as well as the safety clip, increasing the risk of breaking it when forced.
The Gentle Leader Head Collar from PetSafe is a safe and effective, easy to fit training tool, that can be used to teach dogs better leash manners and correct their unwanted behaviors. It allows you to have control of your dog by putting him in a submissive position whenever he tries to pull away and get distracted by things around him.
What’s great about this head collar is that you can use it with your preferred training method and make the process much easier and less stressful both for you and your dog. You can start enjoying walking with your dog without worrying about him pulling, lunging, jumping, or chasing other animals or people.
With the Gentle Leader Head Collar, you can enforce immediate and gentle control, which will make your dog learn quickly and show obedience.